Monday, June 5, 2023

Family Home Evening for John 14-17

 Discuss

The introduction to this week’s lesson in the Come Follow me manual has an interesting point, “Today we call it the ‘Last Supper,’ but we don’t know if Jesus’s disciples fully realized, when they gathered for the annual Passover feast, that this would be their last meal with their Master before His death. Jesus, however, ‘knew that his hour was come’ (John 13:1). He would soon face the suffering of Gethsemane, the betrayal and denial of His closest friends, and an agonizing death on the cross. Yet even with all of this looming before Him, Jesus’s focus was not on Himself but on His disciples. What would they need to know in the days and years ahead? Jesus’s tender teachings in John 14–17 reveal how He feels about His disciples, then and now. Among the many comforting truths He shared was the reassurance that, in one sense, He will never leave us. ‘If ye keep my commandments,’ He promised, ‘ye shall abide in my love,’”


This week, we can learn about the important things Jesus taught His disciples, during the “Last Supper.”


Read John 14:6

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.


Imagine when you begin life, you start to walk along a path. There are many paths you choose and the places you go will be very different, depending on the choices you make along the way. In this scripture, Jesus taught His disciples and us that if we follow the path or example that He set, we will make it back to our Heavenly Father.


In John 14:26-27, Jesus told His disciples that He was going to leave them. This made the disciples very sad. Jesus told them not to be sad or afraid because Heavenly Father would send the Holy Ghost to comfort them.


He also taught  that the Holy Ghost will do 3 things. 

  1.  Teach you all things

  2. Help you remember what you have learned, when it is important for you to apply it to your life

  3. Give you peace and comfort when you need it.


Read John 15:7-8

7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.


When you are following the example of Jesus Christ, then you are being His disciples. When you are His disciple, then the things you want for yourself and others fill your heart. When your heart is full, you can ask Heavenly Father for things in the name of Jesus Christ, and it will be given to you, so that you can use these special blessings to help other people.


In John 15:17-27, Jesus also warned His disciples that many people would hate them. He said, “If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.” He taught them and teaches us that if we do what the world thinks is right, people would love us more, but because we do what God and Jesus wants us to do, the people who don’t follow the teachings of Jesus Christ, might be angry with us.


The time was coming for Jesus to begin the long pain and suffering of His Atonement, but He still had so much more He wanted to tell His disciples. It was too much for them to understand, so He said, “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth.”


Jesus left His disciples wishing for them to find peace in Him. He warned them that they will have a lot of hard trials and have to do a lot of hard things, but that in hard things, we can find happiness by remembering the joy that Jesus’s life and Atonement gives to us. He said, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”


Jesus offered a prayer to Heavenly Father in this prayer, He said, “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.”


In other words, Jesus prayed for His disciples and for all the people that believed their words. He asked His Father to help all of these people to become one people, disciples of Jesus Christ that believe in God, because they believe in Christ. That they will be one in purpose, the way that Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are one in purpose. That His followers can be perfected through his Atonement and will know that through Him, Heavenly Father shows His love for us.


Watch

Here is how we did this lesson


No comments:

Post a Comment